Sunday, 6 August 2017

Crescent Nebula in Cygnus

First night of imaging for this 2017-18 season last night!

I decided to image NGC 6888 in the constellation Cygnus (see below) It's an object I've only managed to image a few times and this was the first time in narrow band.

Image courtesy of Starry Night Pro 7




With a full Moon low in the South I couldn’t image this object in colour, but with narrow band filters I was able to get a good set of h-alpha sub frames to process.

As this was the first imaging session of the year it was inevitable that things were not going to go perfectly. I did get everything up and running very quickly which was a surprise.



Thankfully the guiding with PhD 2 worked perfectly and I was quickly capturing subs. However, I didn’t have the spacing right between the camera and the field flattener and this resulted in egg shaped stars at the four corners of the image. I figured out that I had included a 50mm nose piece adapter where I should’ve just screwed the filter wheel directly to the flattener. A large note has been made :-)


Details
Object name
Crescent Nebula
Object ID
NGC 6888
Date(s)
5 Aug 17
Telescope
Altair 115mm
Camera
ASI1600MM
Luminance
0
Red
0
Green
0
Blue
0
Ha
19x5 min
Oiii
0
Sii
0
Total time
1.5 hours
Frames
0
Processing
PixInsight / Bias, Flats, no darks / Levels / Curves / ATWT
Notes

With a full Moon low in the South I couldn’t image this object in colour, but with narrow band filters I was able to get a good set of h-alpha sub frames to process.

As this was the first imaging session of the year it was inevitable that things were not going to go perfectly.

Thankfully the guiding with PhD 2 worked perfectly and I was quickly capturing subs. However, I didn’t have the spacing right between the camera and the field flattener and this resulted in egg shaped stars at the four corners of the image. I figured out that I had included a 50mm nose piece adapter where I should’ve just screwed the filter wheel directly to the flattener. A large note has been made :-)

Amazing that I’m able to image in the light of a full Moon and get some results to practice with.



Amazing that I’m able to image in the light of a full Moon and get some results to practice with.

WOBSASTRO
6 Aug 17

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.