Tuesday, 29 August 2017

The Pelican Nebula - IC 5070

The nights are getting dark just early enough to be able to get some imaging done between 10pm and 1am.

I managed to image the Pelican Nebula in the constellation Cygnus last night.

It was a very warm night so the camera didn't get down to ideal cooling temperatures (only about -26c) but it had been a very warm day so that was expected.



This is just a start of a narrow band project (Ha, Sii and Oiii) that I'll be working on over the coming years. And it will take years with the weather we've been having.

I was really pleased with the results of 11 x 5min sub frames. I've used flats but not darks on this so far - I need to create some darks around -26 degrees as I didn't have time on the night.

I've created two cropped images of the main one as they show some of the intricate detail waiting to be captured in this object.

As ever its worth opening these to view in full resolution