Saturday, 14 October 2017

M31 - The Andromeda Galaxy

This imaging session, occurring over 2 nights was not without its mistakes and confusion! 

Setting up the first night I seemed to spend most my time trying to remember how to configure the capture software correctly.



The second night I decided not to connect the guide camera to the PhD Guiding 2 correctly and spent 30 minutes establishing that fact.

However, out of the jaws of chaos (which extended to the processing of the image) came one of my better efforts on this object. It’s also the largest amount of data I’ve collected with almost 5hrs going into the can for processing.



I’m having fun zooming in to the different parts of the galaxy to view the H2 regions (star forming) that I was quite surprised to have caught in such numbers. These regions, swimming amongst the sea of big, hot blue stars destined to burn out quickly, are similar to our own Orion Nebula. Moving to the core of the galaxy and it super massive black hole the cooler, longer lived red stars dominate.



Up to the left M110, another galaxy bound to Andromeda has resolved quite well – it can off look very pixelated – and nearby the big blue star who’s name I cannot find 


This galaxy is 220,000 light years across and contains a trillion stars which is twice as many as in our Milky Way galaxy.

I think I need to capture a lot more colour data but this is a good start.